- King Niall became king at 58,000 words. Not before. He was named as successor somewhere in the 40,000s, but he didn’t become king until then.
- The scene I wrote on my whiteboard as a sketchy outline, two days before NaNo started, has finally been included – at 69,000 words.
- Parts of my outline are gradually being changed and extended, so I’m still not halfway through … at 70,000 words.
- My main female character has two men in love with her. She’s not in love with either of them. This was not supposed to be a love story. One of my other characters is in love with another girl and there’s a big problem with the two mains anyway.
- My main female character has magic powers, like a druid. This was not intended to be fantasy – just pure historical fiction. But if you let the cailleach in, you have to prepared for what will follow, right?
- I’m almost certain that I completely forgot to mention what happened to a couple of the characters. That’s going to have to be sorted out.
- Having hit 70,000 words I am now wondering how long it will take before I actually finish the story, seeing as the actual plot doesn’t seem to be moving very fast….
This is was NaNo does to you. It started out as a novel planned to be around 80,000 words, and I didn’t intend to have magic druid stuff in there. Now look what happened!